Saturday 20 September 2014

Work in your own way!!

  


Our lives are so busy in working for our bread and butter that we even forget to realize some simple truths and facts about work. We are so busy in this rat race that we have forgotten the real values and most importantly the ethics of working and dealing with a specific situation while working and while we are with the people with whom we work. Let's just stop here and look back. Just recall those management lessons we used to read and learn. Ok if you were not a management student just recall some of the articles you must have read somewhere while just surfing your net or reading a newspaper or while reading a magazine or it could be any other source. Just recall atleast one sentence of those management lessons or articles. Let’s say “you should be punctual in your work” or “you should have good interpersonal skills as well” or “be a good listener while having a conversation” etc , well frankly speaking while having a conversation I make sure that I remember the last lesson but is it true in all the cases? Are we truly good listeners or are we really patient enough to deal with a specific situation or a particular person who is not turning out to be an asset for your organization? Are we really good at managing our works? Are we really working towards having a good work-life balance or we are just busy in earning rewarding points in numbers and in terms of money? This has become a serious question to think about and what is more important is to find the answer to the same.


There is an old saying “work to live, do not live to work”. Really? And how many of us are following the same. Are we really paying attention to our hobbies or our passion about doing a particular task what we love doing. For example I love reading and writing and to be true to my heart and soul after a month I have just sneaked from my work and  started with this blog, thoughts of which were travelling into my mind since few weeks. There is a very simple thumb rule which I apply to my work that I have to work for myself and for my betterment and for no one else. I don’t care if I do not get a promotion in the coming six months or if my employer did not notice my good work today. I want to go home with a satisfaction that whatever I have done today was rewarding for me in terms of attaining knowledge and increasing my abilities of working in a complicated or a given situation. Today I have learned to speak in front of my senior and give my fair views fearlessly; today I was able to work efficiently because whatever I learnt yesterday increased my level of thinking and today I am able to view a particular situation in a broader way and can analyze the same effectively and efficiently. Today I am able to act wisely and think quickly on my project work. This means that I grew as a person and I am much better than what I was yesterday and now I am satisfied that I grew as a professional and I have worked for myself and for my betterment. 



Now think in a broader way, am I being selfish while saying I work for myself? Well certainly not. If I work for myself I will work with no burden of impressing my boss or the management for my work. I am working to the best of my knowledge to attain efficiency in my work and perfection in my tasks. What do you think who is going to be benefited the most? Me or my organization? Certainly both of us but if a given task is completed on time and with a certain level of perfection then it would definitely add on to the value of the company and ultimately your organization is going to be benefited from the same. Now how does it matter which level of task you have been provided with. Small and simple steps lead to a great victory and that’s what applies to a person’s career growth.


Let’s think bigger. Suppose you are sitting ideally on your desk doing nothing because your boss has not given any task to you. Do you think there is any term called “no task” in an organization? Just think about the life of any promoter of a company or a business tycoon. Well they know their work very well and that’s delegating the tasks. They have set up an empire and hired you officially to do what they want you to do. Now what do they do ideally at their workplace? Well am I right while saying they sit ideally. They have new ideas with them to work on and add value to their business. They worked for themselves and that’s why they are able to do the same till now. Now we are the ones who are working for them, they are still working for themselves and satisfied with the same.


The idea behind writing this blog was to make sure that I am working for myself and satisfied with what I do. Let’s be in love with each and every second of the work we are doing and giving a part of our lives to the same. I don’t want to retire as a person working for someone else and hence I have started working for myself to end up satisfied and accomplished when I am done for the day.


Never get so busy in making a living that you forget to live !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Drama of Discrimination – You Win some, You Lose Some

I am someone who loves to see the headlines and to choose a couple of articles to read everyday. Yesterday morning was one those mornin...