Thursday 12 February 2015

New Face in the Corporate Race-II

But she knew very well that knowing only “golden rules of accounting” would not serve the purpose.  For Niharika, who was a brilliant science student and whose first love used to be laboratories and chemical reactions, entering into the world of accounting was like entering into an unknown tunnel without a ray of hope. But she managed to atleast take a step forward and thus she entered the interview room. Nervousness could be seen on her face. She was holding her resume folder so tightly and sensitively as if the folder was a treasure which she wanted to hide from everybody. The interviewer sensed her nervousness and made her feel comfortable on the chair.


Mr. Alok (The interviewer and Manager of the process for which Niharika was called): (In a sarcastic manner) So miss!! Would you mind giving me your resume?

Niharika: Sure Sir!! Here it is.

So tell me about yourself miss, asked the interviewer.

Niharika: Well I am Niharika from Mumbai. I am a BSC graduate from University of Mumbai and currently looking for a job opportunity in commerce field.

(She wanted to be smart enough to influence the interviewer and make sure that she wants to shift from science stream to commerce stream. Also she read somewhere that a brief bio is the best bio, that’s why she stopped after talking about herself in one line.)

Mr. Alok: (Amused) Ms. Niharika what made you think about a carrier in commerce/accounting field and leave the science stream as I could see that you are a brilliant student and your scorecard is just amazing.

Niharika: (In a very diplomatic way) Sir my interest brought me here. I believe in being brilliant in each and every task I take up and my previous result is a proof of that. But now I want to carry on with my interest and that’s accounting.

Mr. Alok: But Niharika, it is not easy. You don’t even know the rules of accounting…


-          Debit the Receiver, Credit the Giver
-          Debit what comes in, Credit what goes out
-          Debit all expenses and losses, Credit all income and gains, Niharika replied immediately and in one go.


The interviewer being an experienced person knew the level of excitement and immaturity what the people at the age in which Niharika was show and hence he just smiled and moved on with his questions.
“So what are your long- term plans miss”?


Niharika: Sir I want to grow individually and professionally while working with your esteemed organization. ("Waaoo!! a perfect answer" she looked in the eyes of interviewer and gave a perfect smile as if she has just won the heart of the interviewer with that answer)

Mr. Alok (Giving a fishy smile) Well perfect answer Niharika. I am impressed. So what are your expectations from me ahh I mean my organisation.

Niharika was already in a dilemma when she looked at him giving that fishy smile but then she ignored the same and answered, "15K to 20 K per month sir."

Alok looked at Niharika and stood from her chair. He started roaming here and there in the room and suddenly sat next to the chair where Niharika was sitting.

Niharika felt uncomfortable. 

Sir amm, she started making strange faces.

Mr. Alok: Niharika .. well you can ask for a better salary you see.. you are smart enough to ask for that and I would be happy if you ask for that because I want young and charming personalities like you in my organization. 

He stopped. Niharika was also silent.

Alok started again, Niharika, please don't take me wrong. I am just saying that you have the caliber to do wonders in your carrier and you are so bold and confident to take a decision to shift your carrier from science to commerce which is highly appreciable. I was just appreciating the same. Hope you did not mind.

Niharika: (Although she was alert) Not at all sir. I know my caliber very well and that's why asked for this salary.

Alok smiled and gave an instant approval for Niharika's selection.

He called the HR department, "Ms. Jenny I have selected a girl, Niharika. Please take her documents and start with the hiring procedure. I hope you are getting me" and he hung.

"Alright Niharika you can join us from tomorrow onwards. You will be undergoing a training of 30 days after which you will be totally ready to enter into this corporate world." Alok told Niharika.

In the whole conversation, Niharika was looking at Alok in a strange manner. She was unable to understand what was going on with her. No more questions? She thought.

After few seconds..

“Thankyou sir” Niharika replied and left the room.


To be continued..








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Drama of Discrimination – You Win some, You Lose Some

I am someone who loves to see the headlines and to choose a couple of articles to read everyday. Yesterday morning was one those mornin...